Fietas (as the place was popularly known) is one of the oldest communities in the western suburbs of Johannesburg, and one of the first 'locations' (multi-racial areas) established under the government of Paul Kruger in 1893. The 'non-white' population of Fietas was concentrated between 11th Street in the north, 24th Street in the south, Krause Street in the east and de la Rey Street in the west.
Fietas became an integrated community, not unlike District Six and Sophiatown. It was also destroyed by forced removals as a result of the Group Areas Act. The majority of the inhabitants moved to Lenasia and Soweto between 1956 and 1977, and the area was declared 'White'. This led to fierce resistance that continued into the 1980s.