After long and protracted negotiations with the South African government, 60 passport applications for the African members of the original “King Kong” cast were approved. The cast was to travel to London where they would join the Jack Hylton Production.
King Kong cast granted passports to perform in London
Thursday, 11 August 1960
This Day In History dates for TODAY
- 1889 Queen Victoria issues charter for the formation of the British South Africa Company
- 1926 SA artist Rexon Mathebula is born
- 1951 A Dakota air-liner, Paardeberg, crashes into Ingeli Mountain
- 1986 Sebe seeks International Court of Justice to mediate in the ‘Kei dispute
- 1989 Five ANC leaders are released from prison
- 1990 South African Parliament repeals The Separate Amenities Act of 1953
- 1993 Waluz and Derby-Lewis are sentenced to death
more dates like these...