On 13 April 1840 the Dutch Reformed Church (DRC) acquired a portion of the Farm; Mooi Meisiejie Fontein for the purpose of establishing a Kerkplaats. The village of Riebeek was established in 1842, and was named in honour of the first Dutch Governor of the Cape, Jan van Riebeeck. Its name was amended to Riebeek East in about 1881 to differentiate it from its namesake in the Division of Malmesbury.

-33° 40' 12", 18° 38' 34.8"

By Franco Frescura

Further Reading