The Area currently known as Bellville was originally used as a wagon halt for farmers bringing their produce to Cape Town, and was known as both Hardekraaltje and Twelfth Mile Stone, Maitland Road. A post office known as Eleventh Mile Stone, Maitland Road, was opened on 20 December 1853, and was probably located at a local Inn, but this was abolished in about 1860 when the new village of Bellville was established on a site nearby. On 18 November 1861 the growing Village was named Bellville, in honour of Charles Davidson Bell, Surveyor-General of the Cape from 1848 to 1872 and designer of the Cape first triangular stamps. The railway line from Cape Town reached Bellville on 13 February 1862, and in January 1886 its name was changed to Durban Road, due to the fact that its railway station served the nearby village of Durbanville. In November 1904 this reverted back to Bellville, albeit with a slightly amended spelling.
18° 22' 48", -33° 32' 24"
New Dictionary of South African Place Names by Peter E. Raper