It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 20 September 1974.
This delightful Sir Herbert Baker church is near the South West corner of Boksburg lake. Replacing an earlier wood and iron Building, it was built between November 1911 and May 1912. It has been proclaimed a Provincial Heritage Site.
Designed by Sir Herbert Baker, the Anglican diocesan Architect, and built in 1911 the St Michaels and All Angels Anglican Church, Parsonage Street is still in use today by the Anglican church of Boksburg. The Building is widely refered to as one of Sir Herbert Bakers' finest Parish Churches. The stone interior of the Church is dominated by a dark stained wooden ceiling supported by an impressive wooden superstructure. The Building is long and low, made of "free-stone" with red tiles and has an attractive tower at its North-East corner. The design of this church uses rounded arches (Romanesque), which was a change from Sir Herberts use of the pointed arches (Anglo Gothic), and was one of the last designed by the architect before he left South Africa in 1913.
-26° 13' 15.6", 28° 14' 20.4"