The cottage formerly used by Cecil John Rhodes, stands on the main road to Simonstown, between Muizenberg and St James. Formerly known as Barkly Cottage, it was bought by Rhodes on 27 February 1899 from the deceased estate of JR Reid. Historical events in the rest of South Africa kept Rhodes away from his home, and it was only in 1902 that he finally moved here. Unfortunately he resided here for less than a month, and on 26 March 1902 he died in the house. It remained in the possession of the Rhodes Trust until 1932 when it was donated to the government of Northern Rhodesia, who, in 1937, transferred it to the City Council of Cape Town. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 4 February 1938. De Post Huys, Main Road, Muizenberg. This building was originally erected in February 1673 by the Dutch East India Company as a military observation post. Subsequently it was also used as a civilian residence. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 7 March 1980.