The Upper, Middle and Lower Campuses together are often referred to as the 'main campus'
The Campus as it stands today was laid out by architect J.M. Soloman in 1918 when the South African College became the University of Cape Town, incorporating buildings from the early 1800’s restored by famed architect Herbert Baker in the 1890’s. UCT was moved onto the Campus in 1928, and the Campus was declared a National Monument in 1979.
Another heritage building, the Woolsack, is situated just below in the ‘Middle Campus’. Built by Cecil John Rhodes to be a home for artists and poets, the Woolsack was a summer home to author Rudyard Kipling and his family from 1900 – 1907.
-33° 56' 34.8", 18° 25' 8.4"