Milestones where used to measure distance, by the early settlers, in Cape Town. A Post Office known as Eleventh Mile Stone, Maitland Road, was opened on 20 December 1853, and one of these Mile Stones's was probably located at a local Inn, but this was abolished in about 1860, when the new village of Bellville was established on a site nearby. The suburb of Maitland, 6km East of the city hall, was only proclaimed an independant Municipality in 1902 but included into the Cape Town municipal area in 1913. The name commemorates Sir Peregrine Maitland, who was Governor of the Cape from 1844 to 1847.
-33° 56' 35.3127", 18° 34' 45.2191"
New Dictionary of South African Place Names by Peter E. Raper