The temple was designed by Orlando Middleton and erected by Jacob Kohler and Sons. The Port Elizabeth Orthodox Hebrew Congregation was formed in 1903 it's members were mainly Eastern European Jews who hah came to South Africa, after severe pogroms and persecution in Russia, Lithuania, Latvia and Poland. On 12 December 1912, Rabbi J.L. Landau consecrated the Raleigh Street Synagogue.
-33° 57' 32.4", 25° 36' 46.8"