The Village of Clumber was established on land allocated in 1820 to Dr Thomas Carlton, leader of a party of settlers from Nottinghamshire. In October 1893 its name was changed to Trappes Valley, and soon after, in November 1893, another Village, also called Clumber was established on a site some 20km away from the original.
On this site same the Nottingham party of British Settlers held a service of thanksgiving on their arrival in 1820 and built the first Church in 1825. The second Church, which replaced it in 1837, served as a defense station in 1846 during the hostilities.
26° 51', -33° 25' 48"