Bloemhof is an agricultural Town of about 28,000 inhabitants situated; on the banks of the Vaal River in North West Province of South Africa. It was founded in August 1864 when diamonds were discovered in the Area. The Town was established on the Farm owned by John Barclay, who survived the HMS Birkenhead shipwreck in 1852. The place became known as Bloemhof (flower court) because of the lovely gardens that were planted by Barclay's daughter. In June 1869, the South African Republic's Volksraad created a new district, called Bloemhof named after the Town itself. Currently Bloemhof has a Township called Boitume, which means 'Happiness'. There a former coloured residence called Coverdale. Salamad is also a small residence, formerly an Indian Suburb situated in this Town. Bloemhof Dam, Bloemhof Dam Nature Reserve, Sandveld Nature Reserve are all Local attractions.
27° 23' 24", -25° 21'