The Building was erected during the South African Boer War by the British Military, under the guidance of Major-General G Barton, who commanded British forces in this Area in 1901. Known in its time as Barton's Folly, it differs substantially from other blockhouses built by the British elsewhere in Southern Africa, and formed part of a defensive line which extended from Hekpoort and Maanhaarrand to the Magaliesberg. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 16 March 1984.

27° 22' 12", -25° 33'