Settlement with a Railway Station and Post Office, North of Brits. It was given the name in 1837 by the Voortrekkers under Andries Potgieter because here they came upon a number of 'cattle-kraals'! Today the locals have made quite an 'Geo-Historical Venture', with a Kiosk and Restaurant and the Railway Station, whilst maintaining it authenticity! It is located in the Bonjanal District Municipality.
New Dictionary of South African Place Name by Peter E Raper.