The grounds of this property originally formed part of the Studlands estate which had been granted to JP Eksteen on 5 May 1779 for the erection of a wijnhuis. After the property had been purchased by Jan Gysbert Hugo, two semi-detached houses were erected, and a portion of the garden was laid out in 1897 in accordance with a design by JE Vixsebokse. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 17 July 1987.