The vault is huge, well looked after, with a fence that nobody can cross! It was erected in 1827 by the widow of Peter Woutersen. His granddaughter married, Jacobus Christoffel Wessels, whose son, Sir John Wessels, became Chief Justice of South Africa. Various members of the ‘family lived on the estate. Because the vault had been broken into by thieves who stole the ornaments of the coffins and other valuables, the great iron door of the vault was eventually permanently sealed. Consequently the last member of the family who died on the estate was buried outside the vault.
The neo-classical style of the vault is very confidently ascribed to the well-known master builder Herman Schutte. The structure stands directly in line with the entrance to the old Victoria Basin of the docks. On some old charts it is marked as a landmark for the guidance of ships entering the docks.
Some prominent citizens have been buried there. inter alia Adv. M. L. Wessels, brother of Sir John Wessels, former Chief Justice of the Union.
The architecture of this is very interesting and there is reason to believe that it is the work of the well-kown architect, Herman Schutte. Some prominent citizens are buried here, inter alia Adv. ML Wessels, brother of Sir John Wessels, the former Chief Bibliography archive: Langham-Carter MS:23 ; Rennie & Goddard Architects "Restoration of the Woutersen-Wessels Vault for the National Monuments Council" April 1991
-33° 54' 39.6", 18° 24' 39.6"