It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 29 June 1938.
After the Jameson Raid in 1896, President Paul Kruger of the "Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek" decided that something must be done to protect Pretoria against possible attacks. Fort Schanskop is one of the four Forts constructed during 1897 and completed in 1897. It was Built in such a way to Protect against attacks from the Johannesburg and Lourenco Marques Railway Line, and the Johannesburg Road. Shaped like a Pentagon, Fort Schanskop had Canons placed on rotating platforms on the embankments, allowing the Fort to defend against attacks from all directions. Fort Schanskop was armed with one 155mm Creusot Gun (Long Tom), and two Maxims (Pom-poms) in 1899. There were 30 Privates and one Officer on base at the Fort. After the outbreak of the War, the Soldiers and Armament were moved to the Natal Fort, leaving Fort Schanskop undefended. The British occupied the Fort on 7 June 1900, after the Invasion of Pretoria, by Gen Roberts. In 1922, Fort Schanskop was returned to the Union Government, and used for Signaling and Reconnaissance purposes only. Fort Schanskop was declared a Historical Monument in 1938. A Military Museum was established in Pretoria 1962, including Fort Klapperkop and Fort Schanskop. Due to budget cuts though the Museum, was handed back to the State in 1994. During June 2000, the Voortrekker Monument and Nature Reserve successfully Purchased Fort Schanskop. Extensive Renovations were done, to Extend and Renovate the Fort. A Landmark British Fort was built in 1897, featuring a restored Statue & replicated Monument.