It is now known as Piketberg. (prior to 1910)
The division of Piquetberg originally fell under the district of Tulbagh, whose drostdy was transferred to Worcester in July 1822, but in about 1838 most of its area was brought under the district of the Cape. It was proclaimed a separate sub-district on 9 March 1848, and was raised to divisional status in 1857.
The following census figures are available for the division:
1865 census: 6,037 residents, of whom 1,899 were literate
1875 census: 8,239 residents, of whom 2,778 were literate
1891 census: 11,587 residents, of whom 4,939 were literate
1904 census: 14,434 residents, of whom 6,894 were literate
In 1833 the Dutch Reformed Church constituted a parish in the district of Piquetberg. Two years later, in 1835, the Governor of the Cape, Sir Benjamin D'Urban, made it a grant of the government farm Grootfontein for the purpose of establishing a kerkplaats (church farm). The first sale of plots took place in 1841, and on 9 March 1848 it was proclaimed the magisterial seat for the new district of Piquetberg. Its name was derived from the Dutch "piket" or the French "piquet", meaning a military post, and may have its roots in the conflict between Dutch settlers and Khoikhoi in 1673-76.
At that stage the Dutch established a military outpost on the mountain, which subsequently became known as the Piquetberg. The 1875 census indicated that the village had a population of 353. In 1891 this number had risen to 470, and by 1904 it stood at 965.
Prepared by Franco Frescura.