Two Dutch indigo planters from Java, Mr Theodorus Colenbrander and Mr von Preen went into partnership with Mr Murray of Pinetown in 1854. Locally grown indigo plants were gathered in bundles by Indonesian workers. Plants were packed into brick vats, secured by metal rods and covered with water to encourage fermentation. After being beaten with bamboo poles, water was released and the remaining dye was processed into cakes for export. The venture failed due to climate, river water and poor soil. Rediscovered in 1969 the first example of Pinetown industry caused much excitement. They were declared a National Heritage Monument in October 1984.
Situated in high security area, so it is best to phone first, when visiting!
-29° 50' 9.6", 30° 53' 9.6"