Clifford Hume Knight purchased the land in 1901, and subsequently built his residence upon it, a large dwelling designed in a neo-Renaissance style with features reminiscent of a Venetian palazzo. The property was bought in 1939 by Princess Ida Labia. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 10 September 1982.
The Muizenberg Battle site flanks the home of the first Italian Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary to South Africa, Prince Natale Labia. Originally called "The Fort" after the site of the battle, it now bears the name Casa Labia and is a restaurant, conference centre and music venue. The house was built by skilled Italian artisans and houses part of the Labia family's extensive art collection.
Built in 1929 to reflect the spirit of 18th century Venice, Casa Labia is the former Muizenberg residence of Count and Countess Natale Labia. Following a complete two-year restoration by the family, this much-loved national monument was opened to the public on 5 May 2010 as South Africa’s most exquisite multi-functional cultural centre.
Casa Labia can be used for opulent and glamorous weddings, private functions, gala dinners, cocktail parties, conferences and commercial/film and stills shoots.
Casa Labia lends itself to the most amazing music concerts, from classical to jazz.
Casa Labia is home to Dish Food & Social's - Cucina Labia, which offers beautifully crafted menus to tempt you into the heart of this Italian home. In the honour of Prince Natale Labia’s love of and great support for the arts, the Labia family launched the Casa Labia Cultural Centre in May 2010. The house is run as a multi-functional cultural centre which includes the South African Print Gallery; the Peter Clarke Archive & Collection; and a Print Studio due to open in early 2016.
Visitors and residents are offered a seasonal programme of events including lectures, art classes, workshops for children and adults, music concerts, poetry readings and book launches throughout the year.