The property was originally part of the Leeuwenhof Estate and was developed in about 1820 by Johannes Zorn. It consisted of a gabled House which, together with a long Building serving as slave quarters and stables placed at right angles to it, and a high garden wall enclosing its courtyard, was occupied by the farm manager.Known as The Grove, it was let to William Sampson while its slave quarters and stables were converted to a dwelling which was let to a German botanist called Werner. The buildings continued to be rented out to various tenants until 1952 when they were bought by the HMC, at which stage the property became known as Bo-tuin. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 11 September 1964.
18° 24' 36", 33° 57'