Suburb of Kimberley to the South of the Big Hole and North-West of New Park. It was established when the Newton Township, was cleared of slums, and named after Johannes Rudolph Albertyn who lived from 1878 to 1967. Albertyn obtained a BA degree from the Huguenot University College at Wellington in 1899 and then the degree BD, at Princeton University, in the United States. From 1906 to 1926 he was the Pastor of the Dutch Reformed congregation Willowmore , where he worked for the education of needy children, and of 1926 to 1936 Pastor of the Dutch Reformed congregation Kimberley , where he works to uplift impoverished families.
From 1936 to 1949 he served in the Society for the Poor and Relief and Secretary of the Dutch Reformed Church in Transvaal and 1949 to 1956 Secretary of the Federal Poor Relief Council, which he founded in 1933. He was from 1928 to 1932 a member of the Carnegie Commission of Inquiry into the poor white 'problem. The National Congress held a Congress in 1934 about the impoverishment of whites, held by his action. As chairman of the Commission of Inquiry into City Conditions (1945-'47), he wrote a published report entitled: "Church and City', which experienced, more than one edition.
In 1960 following the publication of yet another investigation, Country and city. Albertyn also written a multitude of articles for various journals. In 1948, the University of Pretoria awarded Albertyn with a honorary doctorate.
New Dictionary of South African Place Names by Peter E. Raper.