1930 - 1939

May 4-5, Gandhi: At 12.45 a.m., arrested at Karadi, a village near Dandi where Gandhi had broken Salt law on March 5, by the British District Magistrate of Surat under Regulation XXXV of 1827 and removed to Yeravda Prison. There was no trial, no sentence. Unconditionally released on January 26, 1931.
January 4, Gandhi: Arrested at night in Bombay under Bombay Regulation XXXV of 1827 and interned in the Yeravda Prison soon after return to India from England. Released unconditionally by Government at night on September 20, 1932 after he had commenced his 21-day fast.
September 20, Gandhi: (Yeravda Prison). Started at noon a perpetual and fast unto death, from food of any kind, save water with or without salt and soda" against MacDonald's Award of separate electorates. At 5 p.m. On September 26, Gandhi was handed a Government communique, which satisfied him, and he broke the fast.
December 22, Gandhi: (Yeravda Prison). Sympathetic fast with Appasaheb Patwardhan whose request for the authorities refused scavenger?s work in jail. Within two days an assurance was given and the fast was broken.
May 8, Gandhi: (Yeravda Prison). Self-purificatory fast for 21 days started at 12 noon - "a hearty prayer for purification of myself and my associates for greater vigilance and watchfulness in connection with the Harijan cause." Government released Gandhi on the same day. Fast concluded on May 29 at 12 noon at "Parnakuti" in Poona.
August 4, Gandhi: Released and served with restraint order to quit Yeravda village and reside at Poona. Re-arrested the same day after defying the restraint order and sentenced to one year's imprisonment. On August 23, Gandhi was released unconditionally as his condition became serious due to the fast, which he had begun on 16th August.
August 16, (Yeravda Prison). Gandhi refused facilities granted before release in May. Harijan work was not allowed from inside jail. Started fast on August 20, removed to Sassoon Hospital, still a prisoner. By August 23, his condition was serious and he was released unconditionally.
August 7, (Wardha) an irate reformer attacked an opponent of the Harijan uplift movement with a lathi. Gandhi took to seven days' fast as "penance for intolerance shown by opponents towards one another." Started fast on August 7, at 6 a.m. and broke it on August 14, at 6 a.m.
March 3, (Rajkot). Gandhi charged the ruler of Rajkot with breaking solemn pact with people. Started fast at 12 noon. Viceroy suggested with Ruler's assent, arbitration by Chief Justice of India, Sir Maurice Gwyer. Fast was broken at 2.20 p. m. on March 7. 

Collections in the Archives