For the student
- Who was the founder of the Mali Empire?
- Which city was considered a centre of learning during the Mali Empire?
- What is a pilgrimage to Mecca called?
- Timbuktu is located near which major river in Africa?
- The rulers of the Mali Empire were followers of what religion?
- Which was NOT used as currency in the Mali Empire?
The conversion to Islam of rulers of the kingdom of Ghana and the Mali empire:
- stimulated commercial relations with Muslim merchants.
- meant that Islamic faith was imposed forcibly on their entire societies
- facilitated the export of Christian slaves by these two states to other Islamic countries.
- dramatically transformed the role of women in those cultures.
- How did Mansa Musa's journey change Mali's position in the eyes of the world?
- How did Mansa Musa enhance the kingdom of Mali?
- Why did Europe become aware of Mali after Mansa Musa's famous pilgrimage to Mecca?
For the teacher
Have learners create a crossword/ word search puzzle in groups